2008 NZMRI Conference on Conformal Geometry
The focus of the 2008 NZMRI Summer Workshop was Conformal geometry and geometric approaches to partial differential equations
The themes are the use of conformal geometry, and related techniques, to study geometric and topological properties of manifolds and the use of geometric approaches to study partial differential equations.
It featured outstanding researchers, each giving a series of expository lectures surveying recent developments in the area. Lectures were accessible to a general mathematical audience.
Invited speakers and their talk outlines
- Ian Agol, UC Berkeley: Future Directions in 3-Manifold Geometry and Topology
- Alice Chang, Princeton University: Elliptic PDE in Conformal geometry
- Michael Eastwood, University of Adelaide: Symmetries and Prolongations of PDE: Symmetries of the Laplacian, Conformal Killing Equations via Prolongations, General Theory of Prolongations
- Robin Graham, University of Washington: Introduction to Conformal Geometry Lecture 1, Lecture 2: Weyl Curvature Tensor, Characterization of Conformal Flatness, Lecture 3: Ambient Metric, Tractor Bundle & Connection (any volunteer to enter the references ?)
- Claude LeBrun, Stony Brook, SUNY: Einstein Metrics and Global Conformal Geometry: Lecture 1 and Lecture 2
- Willard Miller, Jr., University of Minnesota: L1: Planetary motion, the hydrogen atom and superintegrability; L2: Structure and classification results for second order superintegrable systems; L3: Models for irreducible representations of quadratic algebras
- Neil Trudinger, Australian National University: Glimpses of non-linear PDE in the 20th century
- Paul Yang, Princeton University: The Q-Curvature Equation in Conformal Geometry
- This excellent (Made in Nelson) graphic portrayal of a tractor connection is due to Claude LeBrun.
Related Conferences and Workshops
This workshop is affiliated with the NZIMA programme "Conformal Geometry and its Applications" - to run July to December 2008.
- Research workshop: Parabolic Geometry and PDE, 4-8 August 2008, Massey University, Albany.
- Focussed Research Period: "Parabolic geometry, PDE and prolonged systems", 20 July - 10 September 10 2008, University of Auckland
The details below are now archive-relevant: NZMRI Conformal Geonmetry and PDEs Workshop Further details
Last updated March 2, 2008