Department of Mathematics
Mathematics is the foundation for all sorts of things we take for granted every day, such as online shopping and banking, Eftpos transactions, mobile phones, medical and movie imaging and so much more. It is also a door opener in almost any field you could wish to enter.
Ian Stewart, Mathematician and Science Fiction writer, and a former visitor to The University of Auckland’s Department of Mathematics points out that as an evolving subject “new math is being created every day, at around a million pages of really innovative stuff every year…. It’s an active, very creative, exciting, and totally relevant subject”.
To learn more about the resources available to high schools in this creative and relevant subject, here are some pointers.
To read more about Ian Stewart visit the Encyclopedia Britannica blogs.
Programmes, Centres and Partners
- Community for Understanding and Learning in the Mathematical Sciences (CULMS)
- Centre for Mathematical Social Science (CMSS)
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Engineering Science
- Department of Physics
- Department of Statistics
- Auckland Bioengineering Institute
- New Zealand Journal of Mathematics